The mission of the Colorado School of Mines’ Unconventional Natural Gas and Oil Institute (UNGI) is to provide a platform for multidisciplinary research in all areas of unconventional natural gas and oil exploration and development. This Institute encompasses all relevant disciplines and brings together world-class researchers and those organizations seeking solutions to complex problems. Active member involvement is encouraged to quickly bridge from science to engineering applications. Focus is also placed on education and outreach to improve the understanding of the importance of worldwide unconventional natural gas resources.
- a focus point and management structure for large, multidisciplinary projects
- project seed money or matching funds
- investment in large equipment and enhanced infrastructure
- funding for post-docs and visiting scholars
- training for undergraduate and graduate students with specialization in unconventional reservoirs
- training for oil industry, federal and state government employees, regulators and policy makers with specialization in unconventional reservoirs
- unbiased knowledge source for public